SAN FRANCISCO – Sept. 6, 2023 – Deputy, a leading global software platform for managing hourly workers, today released the newest insights from its 2023 State of Hourly Work Report. The findings serve as a call to action for business owners and policymakers to gain a deeper understanding of the work-life experiences of frontline workers and place their well-being at the forefront of choices impacting their livelihoods.
The report was compiled from the survey responses from 3,809 hourly workers across retail, healthcare, and hospitality sectors across the United States, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom between May 26 to June 26, 2023.
Nearly half of US hourly workers need help managing their schedules and hours. These challenges, including unpredictable shifts and last-minute changes, have far-reaching implications for employees and employers.
High-level report highlights include:
- More Workers Feel Listened to Today Than They Did a Year Ago: Hourly workers' ability to voice opinions and provide honest feedback at work saw a positive trend in all regions from 2021 to 2023. The percentage who felt they could always voice their opinions in the US increased from 33% to 44%.
- Better Pay Is a Major Motivator for Changing Jobs: Across regions, motivation to change jobs is largely driven by better pay. In the US, 51% expressed better pay as a strong motivator.
- Employers Are Still Struggling to Hire Enough Workers: Amid ongoing labor shortages around the world, companies faced challenges in hiring during both 2021 (56%) and 2023 (47%), affecting various aspects of hourly workers' lives, such as work/life balance, time off, and workloads.
- AI Will Continue to Impact the World of Work: Many global hourly workers foresee technology shaping their roles, with 41% in the US strongly believing AI will significantly alter their jobs within the next two years.
- The Pursuit of More Predictable and Stable Schedules: 60% of hourly workers believed Fair Workweek regulations would help with schedule predictability, 37% thought it might help, and 3% believed it wouldn't make a difference.
Download the 2023 State of Hourly Work Report below for a complete analysis.
Deputy is on a mission to improve the world of hourly work for businesses and workers alike. Deputy's leading software solution streamlines communication, scheduling, tasks, and timesheets for millions of workers and businesses worldwide. More than 330,000 workplaces and 1.3 million shift workers use Deputy daily in over 100 countries. At the forefront of empowering businesses, Deputy’s platform equips them with the tools and insights they need to streamline compliance, build thriving workplaces, and stay focused on what matters most - their employees.